Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

"Pick up" and kinetic minerals

Hi John,

Apologies for the delay. We've been really busy the past few days traveling, teaching a workshop, and exhibiting at the Goldschmidt conference in Prague. To answer your question, React only includes the non-kinetic minerals when it picks up calculation results.

Best,

Brian Farrell

Aqueous Solutions

Brian

i understand busy, no need to apologize. Allow me to ask a follow up question. The conceptual model is: equilibrate package of rock-porewater at 100 C; instantaneously displace the porewater with water from another source and allow to react kinetically for a specified residence time; displace and repeat. Is this a calculation I can do in GWB Standard?

Hello John,

Thank you for providing additional details about your model. It sounds like what you're trying to do is very similar to the "flush" model that is already build into GWB Standard.

A flush model tracks the evolution of a system (rock grains and pore fluid) through which the fluid migrates. At each step in the model, an increment of unreacted fluid passes into the system, displacing an equal mass of the existing pore fluid. You can set minerals in the usual way to begin at equilibrium and then react kinetically over the course of the simulation. You can displace the system’s pore fluid any number of times.

Section 3.3 of the GWB Reaction Modeling guide shows how to set up a flush model. Chapter 2 in the Geochemical and Biogeochemical Reaction Modeling text discusses the local equilibrium models in further detail, beginning in Section 2.1 and then fleshing out the ideas more mathematically in Section 13.2. There are at least a couple of examples of flush models later in the book: dolomitization (Section 19.4) and alkali flooding (30.2).

The primary difference between a flush model and the simulation you describe is that a flush model is continuous, rather than proceeding stepwise. Such configuration is generally preferred to a discrete simulation. If you have your heart set on a stepwise series of simulations, I can look into it, but I’m pretty sure it will take a lot more effort than a flush model, while yielding essentially the same results.

Kind regards,

Katelyn Zatwarnicki

Aqueous Solutions LLC

• 2 weeks later...

Katelyn

I have a follow-up question related to the alkali flooding example (30.2) in the book. in this example, the pore fluid in the system is replaced a total of 10 times over the course of 20 days. I interpret this to mean that the "average" residence time of the pore fluid in this calculation is 2 days. Is this an accurate interpretation? Thus, if I wanted to increase the residence time of the pore fluid, I could either increase the value of "reactants times" or decrease the total time span of the calculation, correct?

Thank you

John

Hi John,

Yes, a 2 day residence time is a fair interpretation. I think you understand the concept, but perhaps you misstated your question? To increase the residence time you would want to decrease the value of “reactant times” or increase your model run time. If you wanted a residence time of 4 days, for example, you could displace the pore fluid only 5 times (reactants times = 5) in 20 days. Alternatively, you could displace the original fluid 10 times like before but increase the time span to 40 days. Please keep in mind that while the “residence time” is equivalent in either case, the results would not be equivalent.

Kind regards,

Katelyn

Aqueous Solutions LLC

• 4 months later...

Hi John,

I hope you’re doing well. A few months ago you inquired about the possibility of retaining kinetic minerals when doing a pickup. I wanted to let you know that we’ve developed this feature for GWB Release 11. Now you can pick up a simulation and retain the mass of kinetic minerals from the endpoint value of the original calculation. Biomass concentration and the concentrations of kinetic complexes can similarly be retained.

Please let us know if you’d like to try out our latest release or if you’d like a quote. Upgrades are available at a special price until February 28. I hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,

Brian Farrell

Aqueous Solutions