Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

SpecE8 Error

Arindam2975

Hi everyone,

I am trying to run SpecE8 and after assigning the aqueous species when I hit the go button I am getting the following error message:

"Could not open SpecE8_output.txt file.

(Do you have write permission in this directory?)"

Could you please help me in this regard?

I also tried to put Cr++++++ as an aqueous species, but instead I have the only option of assigning Cr+++. Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Ari

Specification:

(1) The software and version you are running

Geochemist’s Workbench Essentials 7.0

(2) The program(s) in question

SpecE8

(3) The platform you are using

Windows XP

(5) The thermo dataset you are using

thermo.dat

(4) And, most importantly, an input file or script that demonstrates your concern

I don’t know what to mention here

I am trying to run SpecE8 and after assigning the aqueous species when I hit the go button I am getting the following error message:

"Could not open SpecE8_output.txt file.

(Do you have write permission in this directory?)"

I also tried to put Cr++++++ as an aqueous species, but instead I have the only option of assigning Cr+++. Any suggestion?

Hi Ari:

It sounds like GWB is trying to write the calculation results to a directory that you don't have 'write' privileges to. By default, if you don't set an output directory, GWB will write to the /Program Files/Gwb directory. Have you tried changing the output directory using the File - Change Working Directory menu option? Be sure to set this to a directory that you have Admin privileges to.

Cr6+ is available in the thermo.dat file as CrO4-- which forms a redox couple with Cr++++. So the easiest way to specify Cr6+ in your Basis is to swap CrO4-- in for Cr++++. But you might review the sections on redox equilibrium so that you know whether to initially specify a system in redox equilibrium or disequilibrium.

I hope that helps,

Tom Meuzelaar

RockWare, Inc.