Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

React: charge balance error!

Mooketsi

Hi,

I have a problem when using React and Spec8. When i enter the data on the basis and exclude alkalinity the % ion balance error is low ~ 13%.whe plotting this data on Gplot the data is skewed towards the cations !Howver, when I include the alkalinity the error increases to 90% with the plotted data balancing. Is there anything that that i'm doing wrong?

Hi,

I have a problem when using React and Spec8. When i enter the data on the basis and exclude alkalinity the % ion balance error is low ~ 13%.whe plotting this data on Gplot the data is skewed towards the cations !Howver, when I include the alkalinity the error increases to 90% with the plotted data balancing. Is there anything that that i'm doing wrong?

Hi:

Can you tell me what version of the software you are using? (Click on the Help - About React menu option in the React module).

Regards,

Tom Meuzelaar

RockWare, Inc.

its version 8.0 I subsequently upgraded to 8.0.5 with the patch but the problem persist!

I am able to reproduce the 90% imbalance error, but not the 13%, as I'm not sure how you've configured your bicarbonate units, but maybe this will help...

Note that constraining your Basis using carbonate alkalinity vs. bicarbonate concentration is setting up a completely different problem:

• if you constrain your Basis using 1728 mg/kg carbonate alkalinity, this is the equivalent ~.017 molal CO3-- (at your very alkaline pH of 12.5)
  • if you constrain your Basis using 1728 mg/kg HCO3- component, this is the equivalent of ~.029 molal CO3--, or roughly twice the alkalinity as the first configuration

The latter configuration results in a much higher negative charge imbalance.

I hope that helps,

Tom Meuzelaar

RockWare, Inc.