Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Can you save the results of reactive transport models before they are finished?

TMernagh

I have been running a geochemical model in X1t for the past 5 weeks only to have it crash when it is 90% complete. This is annoying enough but it will be more annoying if I cannot retreive the results. I can plot the results using Xtplot but the "View Results" button is greyed out. Can anybody tell me if and how I can retreive the results of the modelling and if there is a method to save the results of X1t and X2t models before they have finished all the iterations?

I have been running a geochemical model in X1t for the past 5 weeks only to have it crash when it is 90% complete. This is annoying enough but it will be more annoying if I cannot retreive the results. I can plot the results using Xtplot but the "View Results" button is greyed out. Can anybody tell me if and how I can retreive the results of the modelling and if there is a method to save the results of X1t and X2t models before they have finished all the iterations?

Hi:

You can always stop a simulation via the Run - Kill menu option (or Ctrl-Break). At this point, X1t/X2t will tell you that results are available for plotting- plot output results are stored in the .xtp plotting file created for that simulation in the working directory you've specified.

By default, text output for reactive transport models is disabled, because for most models the output files are exceedingly large. You can enable the text output files via the Config - Print Options menu option (check the print dataset box). Once enabled, it functions in the same way as the plot output file- that is, when you stop a model, all output data generated up to that point is saved and available for analysis.

It is important to note that when you re-run the X1t/X2t modules, plot and print output from the previous run is over-written- so you should rename both output files if you want to save them for future use.

I hope that helps,

Tom Meuzelaar

RockWare, Inc.

Hi:

You can always stop a simulation via the Run - Kill menu option (or Ctrl-Break). At this point, X1t/X2t will tell you that results are available for plotting- plot output results are stored in the .xtp plotting file created for that simulation in the working directory you've specified.

By default, text output for reactive transport models is disabled, because for most models the output files are exceedingly large. You can enable the text output files via the Config - Print Options menu option (check the print dataset box). Once enabled, it functions in the same way as the plot output file- that is, when you stop a model, all output data generated up to that point is saved and available for analysis.

It is important to note that when you re-run the X1t/X2t modules, plot and print output from the previous run is over-written- so you should rename both output files if you want to save them for future use.

I hope that helps,

Tom Meuzelaar

RockWare, Inc.

Thanks Tom,

I think it will definitely be worth me changing the Print Options to print to file for long and complex models that are prone to crashing. I will do this before I try again. I was aware of the problem with overwriting the X1t/X2t modules. Perhaps it would be better to have some type of version stamp on the file or incoprorate a "Save File As" prompt at the end of the run?

With thanks,

Terry M.

Thanks Tom,

I think it will definitely be worth me changing the Print Options to print to file for long and complex models that are prone to crashing. I will do this before I try again. I was aware of the problem with overwriting the X1t/X2t modules. Perhaps it would be better to have some type of version stamp on the file or incoprorate a "Save File As" prompt at the end of the run?

With thanks,

Terry M.

Hi Terry:

You can add the version stamp on the file via the Run - Suffix command. I didn't realize this existed until a GWB user in the 2nd Canberra workshop pointed it out to me. Try it!

Regards,

Tom