Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

changing properties over time in X1t

forrie

Hi

Is it possible to increase the water content in X1t over the model time (node per node)? In the model is an unsaturated zone with an underlying saturated sone and I want to simulate a rising waterlevel.

As I understand the "porosity" in "medium properties" needs to increase over time. The unsat zone has an initial water content of 0.1 and this must increase to 0.3 over time.

If not in GWB, is it possible to write such a function/script outside GWB?

Regards

Johan

You might initially set porosity to 10% and try setting 20% of the aquifer volume to be some mineral, for which you would set a dissolution kinetic rate law. As the mineral dissolves, porosity would increase and so would the water content. Complete dissolution would mean porosity reaches 30%.

For the mineral, you might make up some mineral and a species that it dissolves to form that would not react with any other species in your system (fake(aq) and fake(mineral)?). I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for - it depends on the purpose of your model. Let me know if that seems ok.

Brian Farrell

• 3 months later...

You might initially set porosity to 10% and try setting 20% of the aquifer volume to be some mineral, for which you would set a dissolution kinetic rate law. As the mineral dissolves, porosity would increase and so would the water content. Complete dissolution would mean porosity reaches 30%.

For the mineral, you might make up some mineral and a species that it dissolves to form that would not react with any other species in your system (fake(aq) and fake(mineral)?). I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for - it depends on the purpose of your model. Let me know if that seems ok.

Brian Farrell

Hi Brian

Will you please show me how to add such a fake mineral and aqueous specie in order to allow for increase in water content?

Although the dissolution of the mineral wont react with other species, wont it influence system parameters or thermodynamics of the system?

If I could change the water content over time it is something that I will be able to frequently use in my modelling.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Regards

Johan