Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Adding Standard Deviation to Scatter Data

EEasley

Hi-

I am adding scatter data to a GTPlot reaction path that I created in REACT. I would like to include error bars on the scatter data, but I am not sure how to go about adding the standard deviations in the spreadsheet. I have already calculated the standard deviation of each analyte in Excel for major cations and anions, and then I am using the reported standard deviation by GeoTech, who rents the multimeter I used to measure field pH and temperature. Basically, I would like to simply add that the pH has a standard deviation of +/- 0.2 pH units and that temp has a standard deviation of 0.15 degrees C. Is there a simple way to just add in the standard deviation, or do I have to enter the standards and measured values in the GSS spreadsheet (as described in the user guide). My main concern is that I am only using reported standard deviation values from the equipment provider for pH and temperature, as I didn't run any calibrations myself (but now I am thinking I should have!). Please let me know if you have any suggestions! Thanks!

Elisabeth Easley

Hi Elisabeth,

All you need to do to set errors bars is enter a triplet of values separated by vertical bars in each cell of your GSS spreadsheet. For pH, put in 6.3|6.5|6.7, for example, to create error bars of standard deviation 0.2 about a measured pH value of 6.5. Unfortunately you cannot just enter a standard deviation value once and have it apply for all your datapoints. This may be a bit tedious, but that is how the program is set up right now.

Hope this helps,

Brian Farrell

Aqueous Solutions LLC

Hi Elisabeth,

All you need to do to set errors bars is enter a triplet of values separated by vertical bars in each cell of your GSS spreadsheet. For pH, put in 6.3|6.5|6.7, for example, to create error bars of standard deviation 0.2 about a measured pH value of 6.5. Unfortunately you cannot just enter a standard deviation value once and have it apply for all your datapoints. This may be a bit tedious, but that is how the program is set up right now.

Hope this helps,

Brian Farrell

Aqueous Solutions LLC

Hi Brian-

Thanks. I was able to calculate the standard deviation as you described above. I'm not having any success in getting the error bars on an XY plot though...is there a setting that I am missing?? I made sure that the sample points were small enough so that they wouldn't overlap the margin of error, but the actual error bars don't show up. I tried plotting an XY of pH vs Temp in the original GSS spreadsheet, and also as scatter data on a reaction path GTPlot of pH vs temp, but no error bars. Thanks for your help!

Elisabeth

Hi Elisabeth,

Your problem was that you didn't put the range of values for each sample in a single cell. I've made you a GSS spreadsheet that will show you how to enter in your data. You'll want a row for each analyte (pH and Temperature) and columns for each sample. You can enter in three values in a single cell, separated by a vertical bar (|), to represent the data point itself and the ends of the error bar. If you enter in two values separated by a double bar (||) you will get just the error bar. Of course, entering a single value per cell will give you a standard data point.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Nov pH T with ST DEV.gss

Hi Brian-

Got it. Yes, it is quite tedious to plot the errors in this manner for large datasets! Do you forsee any addition to the program that incorporates a more simple function for plotting errors? When you are using geochemical data to verify or support reaction path models, it is nice to have the error bars, however it is a little too time consuming to plot them in this way for large datasets that include 20+ analytes that each have an associated error! Thanks very much for your help, I really really appreciate it!

Best,

Elisabeth