Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum
Sign in to follow this  
forrie

script: kinetic rate

Hi Brian

I am trying to simulate acidification over time in a column test.

Can you please tell me what is wrong with my script for a kinetic mineral below...

IF pH > 3 THEN 20 ELSE 40

20: rate = 6.4565e-13 * surface * (1 - Q/K) * (activity("H+")^-0.11) * (activity("O2(aq)")^0.5)

GOTO 60

40: rate = rate_con * surface * (1 - Q/K) * (activity("Fe+++")^0.93) * (activity("Fe++")^-0.4)

60: RETURN rate

Thanks

Johan

Hi Johan,

Can you explain your problem a little more? Do you receive a specific error message? Could you attach your React script and any additional files I'll need to run it?

Thanks,

Brian Farrell

Aqueous Solutions LLC

Hi Brian

When I replace the built in rate law with the script the mineral does not react.

I thought that maybe it is again the script that is the problem as no reaction takes place. However if I specify the first condition of the script in the built in law then it runs perfectly. But I would like to run the second condition also.

Regards

Johan

Column test pyr.x1t

Hi Johan,

Thanks for posting this. Hopefully next week I'll have something for you.

Regards,

Brian

Hi Johan,

I've made some progress testing the rate law scripts in simpler examples, but I'm not sure yet why your X1t example isn't working.

Regards,

Brian

Hi Johan,

We've found a small error in the rate-law parser when reading pH. This will be fixed in the next maintenance release. In the meantime, I think you can use the rate-law scrip below in its place. Be sure to verify that it is behaving as you would expect it to (perhaps run a batch model).

IF activity("H+") < 1e-3 THEN 20 ELSE 40

20: rate = 6.4565e-13 * surface * (1 - Q/K) * (activity("H+")^-0.11) * (activity("O2(aq)")^0.5)

GOTO 60

40: rate = rate_con * surface * (1 - Q/K) * (activity("Fe+++")^0.93) * (activity("Fe++")^-0.4)

60: RETURN rate

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Brian

Hi Johan,

Just wanted to let you know that Maintenance release 9.0.6 is out. It includes a fix for reading pH in the rate law parser, so your original basic script should work now.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Brian