Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

GWBplugin with Perl

MauriceS

HI,

I am trying to get the GWBplugin's working with Perl. I have installed GWB 9.0.8 on my Windows 7 system. I have ActivePerl 5.16.3 (MSWin-32-x86 bit version), added in the path command to point to GWB (c:\Program Files\Gwb) and have the Win32-API installed.

I have changed the example 1 perl script to point explicitly to the location of the GWBplugin.pm:
use lib '/program files/gwb/src';

When I run the example1 Perl script, I get the following message:

C:\Users\maurice_Mac_PC\Desktop\PERL Script\test>perl GWBplugin_Perl_example1.pl
%1 is not a valid Win32 application. at c:/program files/gwb/src/GWBplugin.pm line 10.
Compilation failed in require at GWBplugin_Perl_example1.pl line 10.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at GWBplugin_Perl_example1.pl line 10.

Suggestions are welcome...

Thanks,

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

It sounds like you are trying to use the 64-bit version of GWBplugin with Perl. Unfortunately as far as we know Perl only has that Win32-API package for loading 32-bit DLLs so you will need to use the 32-bit version of GWBplugin with it.

You can just run the GWB installer again and select the 32-bit version to install.

Hope this helps,

-Dan

Hi Dan,

I have installed the 32 bit version of GWB (9.0.8) onto my system and removed the 64 bit version. I have run the example program and it begins to run the PERL script now until it gets to the initialize function. Then the entire PERL program crashes. This occurs when program points to the explicit location or the relative path for the GWBplugin.

Comments appreciated?

Maurice

Hi,

I also tried this using the fortran90 compiler. I downloaded a demo copy of the Intel Visual fortran compiler and compiled up the example1 and example 2. These worked fine.

SO, it appears to be a problem with the PERL wrapper... I think.

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

OK, just tested with ActivePerl 5.16.3 and ActivePerl 5.18.1 and it does indeed crash. Will have to look into that more. Thanks for letting us know.

In the meantime it does still work correctly with ActivePerl 5.14.2. Unfortunately ActiveState no longer seems to have that available to download (at least not as the free community edition). But if you already have or can find that version of ActivePerl it should work.

-Dan