Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Mixing of multiple fluids

Hi all,

I have got a simple question regarding to mixing of multiple fluids. I’m sure that I must have missed something, so I just wanted to check.

I have the composition of three end-member solutions (Solution 1, 2, 3) that would be mixed to produce composition of Solution 4. Say 20%, 30% and 50% of Solution 4 is from Solution 1, 2, 3 respectively. I have the composition of all Solution 1, 2, 3, 4. Essentially I would like to check the mixing fraction through React (at which I have calculated manually) to see whether it gives me a good match for the solution 4 composition.

I would like to run this mixing reaction through the REACT model to get the final concentration of Solution 4 with the known composition and mixing fraction of Solution1-3. But from my understanding, is it correct that I can only mix/react one solution with another one at a time on REACT? And of course if I run reaction of solution 1 and 2, pick up>reactant>fluid to react with solution 3 will not give the answer that I wanted since it’s a different mechanism.

I have tried GSS where I can mix all three solution all at once. But when I did a test run of only mixing two solutions on GSS, it gives different results from reacting two solutions on REACT.

So two questions:

1. What is the best way to do fluid mixing of more than two solutions that accounts for different mixing fraction?
  2. What are the difference between GSS mixing function and React? i.e. say if I’m to mix two solutions together.

Thank you very much for your help. Have a lovely day.

Cheers,

Charis

Hi Charis,

You can mix two fluids at a time in React. You can mix any number of fluids in GSS, however.

GSS, like SpecE8, does not enforce charge balance by default, but React does. React will also allow saturated minerals to precipitate from solution, unlike GSS or SpecE8. If you turn charge balance off (command "balance off") and precipitation off (command "precip off") in React then you should get results similar to GSS. You can also turn charge balancing on in GSS from the Constraints dialog by entering a trailer command like "balance on Cl-".

I think as long as you're not precipitating minerals, not forcing charge balance, and you get the mixing fractions correct then doing a pickup in React should get you the same final composition as GSS.

Hope this helps,

Brian Farrell

Aqueous Solutions LLC

• Like 1