Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Units in the text file of X2t plot

maki

Hi

I would like to confirm the units of minerals in the text file of X2t plot.

In my calculation, I set four minerals.

After the calculation, the text file of X2t plot showed ‘Nmin = 4’ and four numbers below the Nmin’s line.

I couldn’t find the explanation in the last paragraph of the text file.

What kind of unit do their numbers have?

I have no idea whether it is ‘mol/cm3’, ‘mol/bulk volume’, or ‘mol’.

e.g.

--------------------------------

Nmin = 4

1.4619883e-05 0.014985896 4.676259e-06 0.0055111601

--------------------------------

Do you provide the instruction manual of the text file of X2t plot?

Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,

Maki

Hi Maki,

I believe they're in mol/cm3 free-flowing volume, which is the same as bulk volume if you don't have any stagnant zones (a dual porosity model). I'm not sure why you're trying to read the contents of the plot file, though. I think either plotting the data or reading the printed output file (which is not generated by default) make more sense. See the print and plot commands in the GWB Reference Manual for more information.

Regards,

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian,

I’m sorry for delay to reply.

Volumes of node in my calculation were set in over 100 m3, and vol% of mineral was very large in each node.

Although the dissolution level of them was very small, I needed to obtain precise amount of change.

The values, however, were rounded off in X2t_output and X2t_plot.

They seem to be four decimal place in both linear and log scales.

For the above reason, I have checked the contents of the plot file.

It will be very convenient if I may be able to set the digits in X2t_output and X2t_plot.

Best regards,

Maki

Hi Maki,

I think it would be easier to export the numerical values of your plot than to try to read the contents of the .xtp file. The .xtp files are very densely packed with information and always in the same unit. To get started, plot whatever you want to see in exactly the units you want. Even if Xtplot doesn't display enough digits (when change is really small), you can go to Edit -> Copy As and choose the "Spreadsheet (Tab delimited)" option. When you paste into Excel, you'll see more digits reported than in Xtplot.

You might also try using a delta plot for the y-axis. The delta plot, available when you're plotting time on the x-axis, shows how a value (like mineral vol %) changes with time from its original value in the selected node(s).

Hope this help,

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian,

It is useful to export the values from plots to other files (e.g. Excel sheet).

On the other hand, although values of volume% could be exported, values of delta volume% could not be exported.

I confirmed that the Xtplot had the title of ‘Pyrite (delta volume%)’ in the Y-axis and the XY graph certainly showed the change of delta volume%.

Then I chose ‘copy as Spreadsheet (Tab delimited)’ from menu bar and pasted it on the excel sheet.

The result, however, was same as ‘volume%’.

I’m still using ver.9 of GWB.

It would be grateful if you could check it.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Maki

Hi Maki,

I'm glad that exporting the numerical values to Excel is useful. You care correct - the delta values are not being exported. We'll look into this issue. Luckily, since you know the value for volume % for each time step (including the initial value) you can quickly calculate the delta volume % yourself in Excel.

Best,

Brian

Hi Maki,

I spoke with some members of the development team about this. Gtplot and Xtplot are working as intended to export values directly instead of reporting the differences of values. Although it can be useful to have the differences exported directly, there is potential that it would confuse users who expect to see the values directly. As I mentioned above, it shouldn't be too much trouble to calculate the differences using Excel.

Regards,

Brian