Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Mineral names are cut in the react output file

Sven

In the react output files in the section "Mineral staturation states" the only the first 15 characters of a mineral name are printed. Longer mineral names are cut. In some cases it is necessary to have longer names, for example if dealing with solid phases of more complex nature such as clays and other naturally occuring multi-element phases.

Examples:

K8(HCO3)4(CO3)2:3H2O (20 characters)

GreenRust(Na,SO4) (17 characters)

Fe(OH)2.65Cl0.35 (16 characters)

In order to make them distinguishable in the react output file, cryptic short names have to be used in the database which in turn appear in all dialogs and diagrams.

It would be preferable if the full mineral names could be printed under "Mineral Saturation states" or if at least perhaps 25 characters could be used. Or is there any option to get around this problem?

Hi Sven,

The best way to deal with this is to export numerical values of mineral saturation from Gtplot or Xtplot instead of getting information from the text output file. When you plot the data, you'll see the full name (31 characters max) in all the dialogs. In Gtplot or Xtplot, just go to Edit -> Copy to send the data to the clipboard, then paste into an Excel spreadsheet, a Word table, Notepad, etc. The full name of the mineral (31 characters max) will be preserved this way.

Hope this helps,

Brian Farrell

Aqueous Solutions LLC

Hi Brian

Your suggested solutions works well. But I have a high number of consecutive react runs (some 100 or 1000) that I have to evaluate automatically. Therefore I have to get along with the information in the output text file because the binary gtp output files are not directly accessible.

I think a workaround for me would be to add a specific commentary line for each mineral in the database containing its full name. When the output text files are read the short names are replaced by the long name found in the database.

• 7 years later...

Hi Sven,

I'm responding again to let you know that in GWB 2022, the apps allocate space for 31 characters for all species and mineral names in the text output files.

If you're using a recent release, you can also consider parsing the xml plot output rendered in character format (use "plot = character" before running). Or, you might investigate whether using the Plug-in Feature and the Report Command would help. For more information, please see the "plot" command in the GWB Command Reference, as well as the Plug-in Feature and Report Command chapters in the GWB Reference Manual.

Regards,

Brian Farrell
Aqueous Solutions