Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Gas solubility at high pressure

Frank Bok

Hi,

I plan to create a dataset for the calculation of Hydrogen solubility in water and brines at elevated temperature (0-100°C) and pressure (≤ 50 bar). So my question is: How is the pressure dependecy of gases implemented in GWB? I know that PHREEQC calculates the fugacity coefficient with the Peng-Robinson equation of state and I would like to know whether GWB uses the same model or another. And if there is a model for the pressure dependecy implemented, where can I enter the corresponding parameters for a new gas?

Thanks in advance!

Frank

Hi Frank,

Apologies for the delay. We've been really busy the past few days traveling, teaching a workshop, and exhibiting at the Goldschmidt conference in Prague.

The datasets distributed with the GWB are compiled at 1 bar up to 100 C, and along the vapor pressure of water above that temperature. You can, of course, compile a thermo dataset at higher pressure if you have the data.

As for gases, you set fugacity directly in the current GWB release. There is currently no fugacity coefficient model.

Best,

Brian Farrell

Aqueous Solutions

Hi Brian,

thank you for the answer. Are there future plans zu include a fugacity coefficient model?

Best regards,

Frank