Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Error: Must specify a file to save to

maki

Hi

I'm using GWB, ver 10.0.6.

I haven't been able to save script files by using "Save as ... " with message "Error: Must specify a file to save to", these days.

I tried to save the files after renaming in new folder, which was normal way to make new calculation files, since I bought GWB software.

I have no idea why it suddenly happened.

In addition, I downgraded the software from the latest version to 10.0.6 because handling (ex. opening software, scripts, and so on) got much heavier than before upgrade.

Could you give me any idea to handle it?

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Maki

Hi Maki,

I don't understand the issue that you're having. Are you trying to save input files for any of the GWB programs (Rxn, Act2, SpecE8, etc.)? Or one program in particular? Or by script files are you referring to script files written in the Basic language for use with the Custom Rate Law or Heterogeneity features? Have you experienced this problem during the entire time you've been running 10.0.6? Or has the problem only arisen recently? Can you please tell me what Windows OS you're using, whether you're running the 64 bit or 32 bit installer, and any other details that may be important?

Maintenance release 10.0.6 fixed some issues with sluggish plotting that existed in the previous release, but we're not aware of any problems with the programs opening or operating slowly in subsequent releases. Can you give us any more information? Is the dashboard slow to open, or only the individual programs? In general, it's most helpful to report these issues when you first notice them, rather than installing an older version without notifying us.

Regards,

Brian Farrell

Aqueous Solutions LLC

Hi, Brian,

Thank you for your reply, and sorry for little information.

There are two problems.

First, opening time of GWB programs got longer after upgrading to 10.0.8. It took several minutes to open in any files.

Then, I carried out downgrade from 10.0.8 to 10.0.6. It seems to get back to original speed to open.

Second, however, “Save as...” function doesn’t work after downgrading with the message of “Error: Must specify a file to save to”.

The followings are the response to your questions.

Are you trying to save input files for any of the GWB programs (Rxn, Act2, SpecE8, etc.)? Or one program in particular?

---> Mainly, React, X1t, and X2t.

Or by script files are you referring to script files written in the Basic language for use with the Custom Rate Law or Heterogeneity features?

---> In both case with or without referring script files.

Have you experienced this problem during the entire time you've been running 10.0.6? Or has the problem only arisen recently?

---> I didn’t have this problem before. I have the problem recently after downgrading.

Can you please tell me what Windows OS you're using, whether you're running the 64 bit or 32 bit installer, and any other details that may be important?

---> Windows 7 with 64 bit.

Is the dashboard slow to open, or only the individual programs?

---> Both of them in 10.0.8.

Calculation works well, and the problems can be avoided by making a new script without renaming in 10.0.6.

If you need any other information, could you let me know?

Best regards,

Maki

Hi Maki,

Thank you for the clarification. I spoke with a programmer about your questions. He would like a little more information. Where are you trying to save your input files? Are you trying to save to a protected folder? As far as I can tell it has always been necessary to specify a file name when using the File - Save As option in the GUI or the "save" command on the Command pane.

Regarding the slowness in 10.0.8, is a new instance of a program like React slow to open from the Dashboard? Or is it only slow when you're trying to open a saved React script? Can you please install the latest release and send us a screenshot of the GWB Activation Utility if the program is still slow? Finally, do you have the "Show Announcements" checkbox selected on the Settings pane of the GWB dashboard? If so, does unchecking it make the GWB programs any faster to load?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Brian

Hi, Brian,

To begin with, I’m working on the problem of ver. 10.0.9.

According to your advice, I downloaded and installed the latest one.

I think that it got a little faster than previous upgrade. Opening time of files is about two minutes in the case that the files are opened from both saved script and dashboard.

Is it normal speed in ver. 10.0.9?

The followings are the responses to your questions.

Regarding the slowness in 10.0.8, is a new instance of a program like React slow to open from the Dashboard? Or is it only slow when you're trying to open a saved React script?

---> Both of them.

Can you please install the latest release and send us a screenshot of the GWB Activation Utility if the program is still slow? Finally, do you have the "Show Announcements" checkbox selected on the Settings pane of the GWB dashboard? If so, does unchecking it make the GWB programs any faster to load?

---> Originally, I haven’t checked "Show Announcements" in any version.

In addition, when I select the tab of “Upgrade” on dashboard in 10.0.9, it took about two minutes for opening menu, too.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Maki

Hi Maki,

I'm glad to hear that 10.0.9 is faster for you. We've just come out today with another maintenance release, 10.0.10. Please update to that release and if you encounter any problems with slowness take a screenshot of your GWB Activation Utility and send it to support@gwb.com.

Regards,

Brian