Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Fluid Mixing and Scale Formation

Hello Forum Moderator/Co-ordinator,

I recently got a student version of the GWB and have been working through the tutorials ever since. I am particularly interested in fluid mixing and the tendency of fluids to form scales. It appears to me that only the REACT module/application can conveniently handle the scale formation side of things. Unfortunately, the REACT module does not come with the student version. Is there a workaround, say using other modules that come with the student version of GWB, or I necessarily have to have REACT?

Kind regards.

Guest Melika Sharifi

Dear Michael,

To trace your mixing reaction path or to precipitate minerals you will need React app. However, you can use GSS app to see the results of mixing (volumetrically or gravimetyrically) two or more water samples in any portion. To do so, go to Analysis --> Mix Samples. At the final step in Smart Mix, save the mixture as a sample and it will appear on the GSS as a new sample. Now that you have the mixture as a sample in the GSS, you can calculate the saturation state of minerals for your mixture sample by going to Data --> Calculate.

For more information, please see section 3.4.4 Mixing Samples in the GWB Essentials Guide and the tutorial titled "How do I mix samples in GSS".

Bests,

Melika Sharifi

Aqueous Solutions LLC