Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Modeling photoelectrochemical reactions in aqueous medium with GWB

Alero

Hello,

Is it possible to generate geochemical models of photoelectrochemical reactions in an aqueous system using GWB? A typical chemical equation for one reaction is:

Cl- + 4H2O + 8h+ = ClO4- + 8H+

where h+ = positively charged hole (not proton (H+)) generated upon the illumination of a semiconducting mineral

I have tried to modify the thermo database (add h+ as a  new species, copy and modify the electron panel) but I end up with charge or reaction imbalance when I run the model - one reason being that h+ does not have a mass.  Also, apart from chloride and perchlorate, the reactions I am considering include other oxychlorine species like chlorite and chlorate.

Alero Gure

Edited by Alero
Previous reaction was not balanced

Hi Alero, 

After thinking about this some more, you might be able to put together something like you described with a modified thermo dataset. I'd start by adding h+ as a redox couple, using the reaction h+ = H+ + .25 O2(aq) - .5 H2O. Set the charge of h+ to 1, its mass to that of an electron, and make it really unstable. In React, set up the chloride oxidation problem with a kinetic rate law. Decouple the h+ as well as the ClO4-, set very small initial amounts of h+ and ClO4-, then enter the reaction above for the kinetic redox reaction and assume a rate constant. If you add the h+ as a simple reactant, you should observe the Cl- oxidizing to ClO4- and pH decreasing with time, like in the reaction you described.

Hope this helps,

Brian