Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Error: Can't react MgO because the system doesn't include Mg++

yzdm

Hi, recently, i would like to run a model of reactions between glass and water.  Oxides are used as the reactants on behalf of glass. However, errors occurred when i ran the react like below:

-- Error: Can't react B2O3(ox) because the system doesn't include B(OH)3(aq)
       -- Error: Can't react Li2O because the system doesn't include Li+
       -- Error: Can't react MgO because the system doesn't include Mg++
       -- Error: Can't react TiO2 because the system doesn't include Ti(OH)4(aq)
       -- Error: Can't react Cr2O3 because the system doesn't include CrO4--
       -- Error: Can't react Cs2O because the system doesn't include Cs+
       -- Error: Can't react F2(g) because the system doesn't include F-

The react file and database are attached below. Species mentioned above "B(OH)3(aq), Li+, Mg++, Ti(OH)4(aq), CrO4--, Cs+, F-" are all under the 'Basis species' but none under the 'Aqueous species'. I suppose this may be the reason for errors. However, how can i solve this problem?

prototype.rea

thermo.com.V8.R6+1.tdat

Hi, 

You can't add a reactant to a system unless that system already includes the components that make up the reactant. The components need to exist in the initial definition of the thermodynamic model, even if in a negligibly small concentration. All you have to do is set very small amounts of B(OH)3(aq), Li+, Mg++, etc. in the Basis. 

Hope this helps,

Brian Farrell
Aqueous Solutions LLC

• Upvote 1

Hi Brian Farrell,

Many thanks, everything goes well now!

10 hours ago, Brian Farrell said:

Hi, 

You can't add a reactant to a system unless that system already includes the components that make up the reactant. The components need to exist in the initial definition of the thermodynamic model, even if in a negligibly small concentration. All you have to do is set very small amounts of B(OH)3(aq), Li+, Mg++, etc. in the Basis. 

Hope this helps,

Brian Farrell
Aqueous Solutions LLC