Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Hi Forum Moderator,

I would like to model permeability alteration in a geothermal well caused by the rock-water interaction, i.e.mixing of injection and formation waters, as well as their interaction with host rock. I noticed that with the the X1t and X2t applications, this may be possible, having gone through the tutorials on 'How do I set the Permeability?' and 'How do I account for domain heterogeneity?'. Both of these tutorials come close to what I would like to model but I cannot seem to find how to come up with a plot that depict how the porosity and/or permeability has changed due to the reactions of rock and fluids. Could you guide me.

Kind regards

Guest Melika Sharifi

Hello,

In x2t, to plot porosity or permeability(along x or y), you can either plot them as a color map to see their variations over the domain at a specific time step. Or, you can plot them VS. time or position as an XY plot.

Hope this helps. If you need more assistance, please attach your script so I can take a closer look at it.

Thanks,

Melika Sharifi

Aqueous Solutions LLC

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ms Melika,

I tried to simulate seawater injection into a geothermal reservoir in X1t, with a view to determining porosity and permeability alterations, if any. However, the simulation did not converge. Please find attached scripts for the model; both are similar, just slight differences in water compositions. Could you have a look and let me know  what might be wrong.

Kind regards.

Seawater Injection_2.x1t

Seawater Injection.x1t

Guest Melika Sharifi

Hello,

Thanks for attaching your scripts. From your scripts, it looks like the concentration of some elements in the inlet fluid, such as silica SiO2(aq), is too high for seawater. Please double check the concentration of all elements and make sure you are using the correct unit.

Hope this helps.

Bests,

Melika Sharifi

Aqueous Solutions LLC