Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

X1t can't open rate-law library (user provided)

Tao Wen

Hi,

I am new to GWB. Our lab has GWB version 9.09 profession. I am simply trying to reproduce results from Bethke et al. (2018) "Origin of microbiological zoning in groundwater flows". All codes were provided by Bethke et al in their SI file: https://www.geosociety.org/datarepository/2008/2008185.pdf

I could successfully ran and reproduced results using SRB.x1t. As to FeRB.x1t, I could compile FeRB.cpp and link it with x1t.lib to generate FeRB.dll. However, I kept getting error information " -- Error: Can't open rate-law library: FeRB.dll" when I hit 'go' to run FeRB.x1t. I have running GWB 9.09 on windows 10. I am the administrator account of my computer. What might be the reason? Thanks.

P.S., All related files for FeRB.x1t are attached.

Tao

FeRB.x1t

AquiferBaseModel.x1t

FeRB.cpp

FeRB.dll

thermo-aquifer.dat

x1t.lib

Hi Tao,

It looks like the DLL was built correctly, but it is a 32-bit DLL. As such it will only work with the 32-bit version of GWB. I am guessing you are running the 64-bit version of GWB and that is why it is unable to load it. To get it to work please either install the 32-bit version of GWB or build the DLL as a 64-bit DLL. 

If you are using a recent version of Microsoft Visual Studio to build the DLL you should be able to just change the platform dropdown from "x86" to "x64" to change the DLL to a 64-bit build. 

Instead of : image.png

You want : image.png

Hope this helps,

Dan

1 hour ago, dan saalfeld said:

Hi Tao,

It looks like the DLL was built correctly, but it is a 32-bit DLL. As such it will only work with the 32-bit version of GWB. I am guessing you are running the 64-bit version of GWB and that is why it is unable to load it. To get it to work please either install the 32-bit version of GWB or build the DLL as a 64-bit DLL. 

If you are using a recent version of Microsoft Visual Studio to build the DLL you should be able to just change the platform dropdown from "x86" to "x64" to change the DLL to a 64-bit build. 

Hope this helps,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks. You are right that I was generating 32 bit DLL since I was using "Developer Command Prompt

However, I have just tried to re-compile the DLL using X64 Native Tools Command Prompt for VS 2019. After generating DLL, I also used command 'dumpbin' to verify it is is 64 bit DLL. As I load FeRB.x1t into x1t, the x1t program crashed (window disappeared) without giving any error information. Need help on this. FYI, my Windows OS is x64.

Tao

2 hours ago, dan saalfeld said:

Hi Tao,

Hope this helps,

Dan

OK, I have tried the other route that I put all files in the installation file of GWB and re-do everything. It now works. Thanks, Dan!