Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Convert Phreeqc format to GWB format or EQ3 format

Subject: Convert Phreeqc format to GWB format or EQ3 format

I am wondering wether a code converting Phreeqc to EQ3 format for the

thermodynamic database is available ? I know that, recently, thermo_phreeqc.dat - The thermodynamic database from PhreeqC release 2.8 - is ready for use with GWB. But I don't know how the conversion was made ?! if a code was developed for this purpose, it will be not very difficult for me to adapt this convertor if the sources are available. I am currently using a modified llnl.dat in Phreeqc format and I would like to convert it in EQ3 format. It will be for me a big help not to have to rewrite all my modifications in EQ3 format or to develop myself the convertor.

• 17 years later...

For anyone who comes across this old post, in GWB 2023 the TEdit app can be used to import any EQ3/6 dataset to GWB format. And conversely, GWB datasets using the b-dot and h-m-w models can be exported to EQ3/6 format. An earlier GWB release, GWB 2021, introduced the ability to import PhreeqC datasets. Thus, you can first convert a PhreeqC dataset to GWB-format, and then export it to EQ3/6 format if you wish.

For more information, please see 9.3.1 Importing PhreeqC datasets, 9.3.2 Importing EQ3/6 datasets, and 9.3.3 Exporting EQ3/6 datasets in the GWB Essentials Guide.

Regards,

Brian Farrell
Aqueous Solutions