Jump to content
Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Problems with Th(CO3)5(6-) species (React)


bine
 Share

Recommended Posts

Dear support team,

 

recently I am having trouble in calculating the solubility of Th(OH)4(am) depending on the carbonate concentration. The parameter file works well if I only include either carbonate without thorium or thorium without carbonate. If I include both I get the message "React stop: calc_hmw: max charge too large". With the help of a colleague I figured out that this is probably caused by the species Th(CO3)5(6-).

I am using react version 8.0.12 and colleague using version 9 had the same problem.

 

Do you have any idea how we can solve this issue?

 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Christiane

Th_CO3_titration.rea

post-9598-011648400 1360310589_thumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Christiane,

 

You are correct in that Th(CO3)5(6-) is the source of the problem. When the HMW calculations were originally coded into the GWB, it was a safe bet that species with charges of +/- 6 wouldn't be seen, but since that time the applications of the ion interaction models have expanded significantly. We'll include a fix in our next maintenance release of version 9.

 

By the way, you might want to set a free constraint for OH-, instead of a total concentration.

 

Regards,

 

Brian Farrell

Aqueous Solutions LLC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dear Brian Farrell,

 

thank you for your quick reply and for fixing this task in the next maintenance release for version 9.

We`ve already been thinking about perchasing an upgrade for our version 8.

The idea with the free concentration for OH- is a good one. I will try it out for my next calculations.

 

Best regards,

Christiane

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Brian et al.,

 

I'm happy to hear that you will fix this problem within the next maintenance release because I got the same problem here with a database including e.g. (UO2)3(CO3)6<6-> species.

 

Thanks!

Frank

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Hi Brian et al.,

 

Thank you very much for fixing this bug! Actually we (the THEREDA database project, www.thereda.de) are working on our Pu/Th/Np(IV) Pitzer data release where these highly charged species are relevant.

Best wishes!

 

Frank

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...