Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

How to add elements to thermo dataset on GWB Student's licence

Hello,

I am using the annual GWB student's licence on GWB essentials guide to model for the equilibrium distribution of aqueous species in water on SpecE8. However, I encountered problems adding some elements on the Basis. I discovered that some elements such as As and Cd were missing on the dataset. I equally checked the online tutorials on the GWB websites for ways to add elements to the thermo dataset, but discovered the function is missing on the GWB student version. Actually, I hope to predict some secondary minerals precipitating or possibly dissolution in abandoned historical mining regions. The idea is to do a final check on the minerals predicted on the GWB with what I have physically. I have used the ACT2 to create the Eh-pH diagrams and stability for Haematite and Galena. However, to conclude my studies I need to suggest controls for the minerals with the model.

Many thanks

Uche   

Guest Melika Sharifi

Dear Uche,

The GWB comes with a set of thermo datasets that you can load each into any GWB app using File-->Open-->Thermo Data... You didn't mention which thermo dataset you are using, but from the ones distributed with the software, there are a few having data for As and Cd (e.g. thermo.com.v8.R6+.tdat and thermo_minteq.tdat). To check which dataset is loaded into GWB apps, you should go to File – File Properties – Thermo Data.

The graphical thermodynamic dataset editor called TEdit is included in the Student Edition, and you can access it from the Apps pane of the GWB Dashboard. Sections 9.2.3 and 9.2.4 in the GWB Essentials Guide describe how to add reactions to your thermo dataset using TEdit. All GWB guides can be accessed from the Docs pane of The GWB dashboard. You can also check out some tutorials on editing thermo datasets on our website.

Hope this helps.

Bests,

Melika Sharifi

Aqueous Solutions LLC