Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Hi,

I have succesfully plotted piper and stiff diagrams and would also like to plot Gibbs diagram. Does the GWB student version allow me to do so or is it only available with the full version. If so, do I purchase the professional, standard or essentials version? Thanks.

Hello Fern,

The GWB doesn’t have a Gibbs diagram default setting. I can’t think of another software off the top of my head that does it by default. However, it is pretty easy to define a user equation in GSS to calculate the component concentration ratio (e.g. (Ca/(Ca+Na)) and plot that value against the measured TDS value in a Cross plot. The cross plot can be exported to Powerpoint or other photo editor and draw in the dominance zones manually for the Gibbs diagram. 

For more information on how to define user equations in GSS and plotting cross plots, please refer to sections 3.3.5 and 3.6 of the GWB Essentials user guide.

Hope this helps,
Jia Wang

Hello Jia Wang!

Thank you so much for your response. I have done just that and it has worked beautifully.

I was wondering if you can help with 2 other questions.

I've successfully plotted piper diagrams and would like to extract the values used to plot the diamond in the piper plot. How do i access these values within GWB Student version? Do i have to purchase the full version in order to access it? At the moment, all we have is a piper diagram, with no actual values to be stored in a spreadsheet. I am hoping to have the values presented in columns, so my colleague can use them for another project.

I have also successfully plotted Stiff plots but I'd like to tell GWB Student edition to plot them in a specific array in order to save space for journal publication. At the moment, i can tell it the maximum number of samples to plot and it would spit it out in a specific array. Is it possible to plot them all in vertical strips. For eg, if I have 6 samples to plot, GWB may plot the stiff plots in an array of 3x2 (3 across, 2 down) or 6x1 (6 samples horizontally in 1 line). But I'd like them to be plotted 1x6 (all 6 samples appearing vertically, in a column like fashion.

Again, are all these functions restricted in the student version? I wouldn't mind purchasing the full version (professional/standard/essential) in order to gain access to the full suite of the software as well as have the watermark removed.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can provide some advice.

Hello Fern,

You can retrieve the numerical values from the Piper diagram by copying and pasting. Go to "Edit" and mouse over "Copy as" and select either the spreadsheet format or text format. You can paste it in an editor corresponding to that format. Please see section 8.5 Exporting plot in the GWB Essentials user guide for more details. 

The specific array size for stiff diagram plots cannot be set. However, you can configure the colors, labels, and plot size for an individual stiff diagram in Gtplot and then copy and paste it into a PowerPoint to rearrange according to your needs. To see more details, please see section 8.2 Editing plot appearance in the GWB Essentials user guide. 

All the features I described above are available in the Student Edition and all tiers of The GWB software package. With regards to the watermark, you can remove the watermark if you copy and paste the image into Powerpoint and ungroup the shape objects. You can select the watermark to delete it if you wish. The Essentials, Standard, and Professional package of the GWB does not have the watermark by default. If you are interested in a GWB subscription, please let me know and I will be happy to send you a quote or a demo. 

Hope this helps,
Jia