Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Saving GT Plot files as scalable vector graphic files

I am trying to save an image file from GT Plot as a scalable vector graphic file. The problem I am having with GT Plot (which could be a great modification to the graphics software) is that I am trying to change the colors of several mineral saturation curves. It isn't really possible to use the image files as is, because the program plots the mineral name on top of it's saturation curve, so it becomes very confusing which mineral name belongs to which curve. If I use the files this way in a paper or presentation, it would be a nightmare trying to figure out which curve belongs to which label. So, all I simply need is an explanation of how to individually change the line color, or info on how to save the image file in GT Plot as a svg. The option the save an image file as an SVG appears in the dropdown box for the file extension type, however every time I click on the svg option, it sends an error report and says it has to close GT Plot. Unfortunately, I am using Inkscape (free software), not Adobe Illustrator so I can only work with svg files. In Illustrator, I've been able to use enhanced metafiles, but not in Inkscape. If I had access to Illustrator, none of this would be a problem, but unfortunately I'm not a student anymore so I only have access to free graphics editing software.

Please let me know how to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Elisabeth

Hi Elisabeth,

You're in luck. Since you're using 9.0, I would recommend you download the free update to 9.0.1 to set line colors individually and take advantage of many other improvements and fixes. You can automatically color all lines with a standard 6-color palette, or select the color of individual lines manually.

I looked at saving the image as an svg (and other file types) and I'm getting the same error that you are (GWB 8 seems to work okay). We'll look into this and hopefully get it fixed before the next maintenance release. Do you have access to Microsoft PowerPoint? That works pretty well for editing plots. I think the Open Office version will work too.

Hope this helps,

Brian Farrell

Aqueous Solutions LLC

Hi Elisabeth,

You're in luck. Since you're using 9.0, I would recommend you download the free update to 9.0.1 to set line colors individually and take advantage of many other improvements and fixes. You can automatically color all lines with a standard 6-color palette, or select the color of individual lines manually.

I looked at saving the image as an svg (and other file types) and I'm getting the same error that you are (GWB 8 seems to work okay). We'll look into this and hopefully get it fixed before the next maintenance release. Do you have access to Microsoft PowerPoint? That works pretty well for editing plots. I think the Open Office version will work too.

Hope this helps,

Brian Farrell

Aqueous Solutions LLC

EXCELLENT, downloading the update now.

Thanks!

Elisabeth

EXCELLENT, downloading the update now.

Thanks!

Elisabeth

Oh, and when will the next maintenance release be? I think it will be easiest for me to edit the plots in another program...I am really picky about images for presentations and I would like to be able to select just a few lines to be dashed. Having a choice of 6 colors is better than no choice at all, but I am plotting saturation curves for 10 to 15 minerals, so it would be nice to be able to have an individual color for each line, so I still need to be able to save as svg

Thanks again for the quick response,

Elisabeth

Hi Elisabeth,

We're hoping to come out with 9.0.2 within the next few weeks. Btw, there are two options for multicolor lines in 9.0.1. You can check the "multicolor" option which is an icon with 6 different colors, or you can select individual lines and choose any color. To use the second option, right-click your line, choose "Edit Appearance..." then next to Line color you can choose colors for lines one-by-one.

Regards,

Brian

Hi Elisabeth,

We're hoping to come out with 9.0.2 within the next few weeks. Btw, there are two options for multicolor lines in 9.0.1. You can check the "multicolor" option which is an icon with 6 different colors, or you can select individual lines and choose any color. To use the second option, right-click your line, choose "Edit Appearance..." then next to Line color you can choose colors for lines one-by-one.

Regards,

Brian

OK, great. Thanks. I was selecting the line and then just choosing a color from the list and it kept changing all of them. It worked for me to click the line, right click, click edit appearance, select the mineral name from the dropdown box, then change the color.

Cheers,

Elisabeth