Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

GSS crashing with thermo.com.v8.r6 database

Bron

I have downloaded the lastest update for GWB V8 and am still having problems with the thermo.com.v8.r6 database and its use in GSS. GSS crashes each time it tries to calculate any value using this database. I have previously used the same input data in the Minteq database using GSS and it did not crash. The dataset is attached. It is currently in the format suitable for Minteq (i.e. As and CO3- input values differ between databases). I cannot save a fuinctional copy of the file using the thermo.com.v8.r6 database.

CU.gss

Hi Bron,

We're taking a look at this problem. Unfortunately switching thermodynamic datasets in an open script or spreadsheet is not a trivial matter, since there are more differences than just what minerals are included and their stabilities. Different datasets will sometimes choose different basis species to represent the same component (HCO3- vs. CO3-- or Fe++ vs. Fe+++) and can define redox coupling in very different ways. My advice would be to create separate GSS spreadsheets from scratch for different thermo datasets. Once you add in your samples and analytes, pasting in values from your original spreadsheet shouldn't take too long. We're working on improving this for current and future versions of the software.

Hope this helps,

Brian Farrell

Aqueous Solutions LLC