Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Unit conversions on Stiff Diagram

Lharbicht

I'm a very new user to the GWB software, so this question may be very easy to answer. I use this software mainly to create water chemistry plots such as Durov, Stiff, or Piper diagrams. To create these diagrams I've been pasting my data from Excel. My data is in mg/L units. My main question is:

When the program creates a stiff diagram using my data in mg/L units it converts it to meq/kg, and seems to divide by 1000 when doing so. Why can I not have a stiff diagram in meq/L? Why is it dividing by 1000? I've attached the .gss file with my data in it as well as the resulting stiff diagram from HE 12-01. I must have some settings wrong somewhere?

Thank you for your help!

HE 12-01.pdf

Forum Question.gss

Hi,

Could you let me know which version of GWB you're using? If you're using version 9.0, you might have the same problem (values off by 1000) described in this forum thread. Assuming this is the same problem, updating to our latest maintenance release (9.0.3 as of Jan 09, 2013) should solve this problem.

Hope this helps,

Brian Farrell

Aqueous Solutions LLC

Hi Brian,

I have downloaded the update and it did fix the bug for the units being off by 1000. The only other thing I was wondering about, and this may be a silly question, but why are the only units available for the stiff diagram in meq/kg (or ueq/kg, neq/kg)? This seems like an unnecessary conversion to go from mg/L (which my data is in) to meq/kg which may introduce a small error when it could just convert directly from mg/L to meq/L?

Thank you for you help on this!

Lharbicht

Hi Brian,

I was wondering if you were looking into my previous question I posted last week about why the stiff diagrams are converting from mg/L into meq/kg, and why I can't just have it go from mg/L to meq/L? We are waiting for a response to this question so we can finalize a report with our stiff diagrams in it. If you are looking into this it would be good to know. If there is no answer, that would also be good to know.

Thank you,

Lharbicht

Hi Lharbicht,

Not a silly question - the unit choices for Stiff diagrams were simply hard-coded in some time ago. We might expand the output options somewhere down the line, but right now we feel spending time adding improvements and new features in other areas would be more useful. Since GSS performs unit conversions automatically (using the data for density or TDS that you specify, or values it estimates from the information available), hopefully this isn't too much of an inconvenience.

Regards,

Brian