Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Problem trying to Calculate Analyte in GSS

jferstad

Hi!

I am using GSS 8.0.2 as part of GWB Essential.

I have entered data for all my samples into my spreadsheet and can run analyses on them in React and SpecE8 without any trouble.

The problem I have is trying to calculate new analytes. When I click "+Analyte">Calculate.. or Data>Calculate, the box which is supposed to show which analytes I can calculate is completely empty. I would like to calculate activities for K+ and H+ but cannot find a way to do so without going all the way through React or SpecE8 for every single sample.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

I opened it up in GWB 8.0.12 and it seems to work fine. Can you please try updating to the latest version of 8? After updating, try opening the spreadsheet again. You might need to resave it in the new version.

Are you using the same exact spreadsheet that you've posted here, or are there any analytes you've already calculated?

Regards,

Brian

Great! It works now.

One last question: Is there a way to add another row (analyte) that just calculates the ratio of the logs of activities of say K+/H+ or other species?

I would like this so I can plot my samples in Act2.

Here's an example of the final product I'm looking to get from the data in GSS and a plot I make in Act2: http://img.springerimages.com/Images/Springer/PUB=Springer-Verlag-Berlin-Heidelberg/JOU=00531/VOL=2004.93/ISU=2/ART=2003_378/MediaObjects/WATER_s00531-003-0378-zflb7.jpg

Thank you for your help!

Hi,

You don't need to calculate the activity ratios yourself. Just calculate the activity of each individual species you're interested in (SiO2, K+, and H+ for the diagram you mentioned) using GSS, then save your spreadsheet. Go to File - Open - Scatter Data and select your spreadsheet. Act2 will use the activities in the spreadsheet to calculate the activity ratios and plot the scatter points.

Keep in mind that the diagram is created for a single temperature, but your samples cover a range of temperatures. Only samples whose temperature falls within a limited range will plot as scatter data on your diagram.

Hope this helps,

Brian