Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Grouping samples by well/date

Hello,

I have a number of temporally variable samples from a couple of groundwater wells.

I would like to group them by either well number or date depending how I want to display the data.

Is there a way to do this in GSS or GtPlot?

Thank you,

Chris

Hi Chris,

GSS has several built-in analytes that you can add to a spreadsheet like Date, Time elapsed, and Time of Day (go to + analyte -> System parameters) or you can easily create your own user-defined analytes (+ analyte -> user defined analytes -> New..., see section 3.3.4 in the GWB Essentials Guide). If you go into the installation directory of the programs, you'll find a number of input scripts, including one called Example2.gss that should be useful to you.

Within GSS, you can sort your samples on these analytes. It may be helpful to set the color, shape, or size of markers for your samples before plotting. In Gtplot, you can choose as an axis variable many of the System parameters or user-defined analytes in your spreadsheet.

Hope this helps,

Brian Farrell

Geochemist

Aqueous Solutions LLC

Hi Chris,

If you sort on your "well ID" analyte in GSS, you can select the samples from the same well and give them all the same marker color, for example. Then (if Gtplot is already open with your Piper diagram), in GSS, go to Graphs -> Update Graph(s) and you'll see the samples on the Piper diagram are updated. From within GSS, you can also select one or more samples and highlight them (ctrl+click or shift+click), then go to Graphs -> Selected samples only. Then, go to Graphs -> Update Graph(s) and you'll plot only the subset of the data that you selected. Is this what you're trying to do?

Regards,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Yes, that's what I'm trying to do, I had considered that but am still left with all my samples listed in the legend. Is there I was I can pare down the legend or make the legend just show my well IDs?

Thanks again,

Chris

Chris,

If you select a subset of the data, check "Selected samples only", and check Update Graph(s), your plot and legend should only include the selected samples. The legend will display the Sample ID, however, not any other analyte. You can easily copy your plot and paste it into PowerPoint or Adobe Illustrator and edit the legend, however. To do so, go to Edit -> Copy in Gtplot and paste it into PowerPoint. Then go to Arrange -> Ungroup and click Yes to convert the picture to a Microsoft Office drawing object. You'll then be able to replace the SampleID in the legend with the Well ID.

Regards,

Brian