Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Stable isotope treatment in X1t module

hiro

Hi, I am a beginner of the X1t module. Using the X1t in GWB ver.10, I have tried the transport simulations of Cl- and stable isotopes (deutrium and oxygen 18) of porewaters in sedimentary rocks as diffusion and/or advective-diffusion controlled. For the case of Cl-, the X1t could simulate the profile in the aquifer successfully. Regarding to the stable isotopes, I do not know how to set up the constraints on initial system for the stable isotopes (i.e., neither block of entry for isotope data and nor relevant unit column in the GUI). Is it possible to modify or change the system contratints in the GUI by myself?

Dear Brian,

Thank you very much for quick reply. I'm looking forward to GWB release 12. In contrast, I wonder it maby be possible to simulate simply (i.e., without considering the isotope fractionation) diffusive transport of stable isotopes in the current X1t module (just simply modify the configuration of bais species and unit column). Is it possible to add the unit of isotopes (SMOW-^2H and SMOW-^{18}O) in the X1t? Sorry in advance for an additional small question.

Dear Hiro,

We're very excited about GWB Release 12, but it likely won't be released for quite some time. For your information, Release 11 came out in January of this year, and we typically space new releases two years apart.

As for your question, you cannot configure basis entries in X1t with custom units like SMOW-^2H or SMOW-^{18}O. Without accounting for fractionation, though, I'm not sure what you'd gain by transporting the stable isotopes instead of the thermodynamic components containing those isotopes (H2O, H+, O2(aq), etc.).

Regards,

Brian

• 1 year later...

Dear Hiro,

I just stumbled across this old thread. For your information, GWB12 released several months ago. It includes the stable isotope transport feature you were interested in. You can learn more about it at GWB.com/gwb12.php, and by reading the  Stable isotope transport chapter in the GWB Reactive Transport Modeling Guide.

Regards,

Brian