Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Sorption of HPO4 onto Goethite

I would like to know how can I include the sorbing surface of goethite into a Eh-pH diagram to view the adsorption of this nutrient onto this mineral in a body of water. To develop the Eh-pH diagram I use Act2 however to acheive my objective I dont know if I can use React to view the adsorption in varying Eh and pH.

Hi,

Act2 and Tact draw traditional stability diagrams accounting for aqueous species, minerals, and gases, but not surface species. I recommend using React to trace adsorption of your nutrients as a function of pH. You can repeat the procedure assuming a few different Eh values to see its effect.

If you'd like, you can do a little post-processing work to assemble the results of each calculation into a single diagram. For some tips, take a look at the "How do I overlay my diagrams?" and "How do I retrieve numerical data from my plots" slideshows in the Using GWB section of our Tutorials webpage.

Hope this helps,

Brian Farrell

Aqueous Solutions LLC