Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Aqueous speciation of Fe(II) in the presence of NaHCO3 at 90C

Hi,

I am trying to obtain a speciation plot for a solution containing FeCl2 (ferrous chloride) and NaHCO3 (sodium bicarbonate) using the student edition GWB 11. I have experimental data for pH of this solution as well. While entering the basis species, I don't have the option of entering HCO3- species. I only have the option for CO3(2-) [carbonate] species. I would also like to calculate the supersaturation of this solution with respect to magnetite. What would be the best way to come up with an accurate speciation plot for these conditions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest Melika Sharifi

Hi Srikaush,

In any GWB app only basis species of the loaded thermo dataset are available to add to the basis pane using "Add”. You can use TEdit program, which you can access from the Support pane of the GWB Dashboard, to check the basis species and reactions along with their log Ks at different temperatures included in each thermo dataset. To make a constrain on your system as HCO3-, for example, rather than CO32-, you should swap HCO3- into the the system for CO32-. For more information, please read sections 2.1, 2.2, and 7.2 in the GWB Essentials guide that can be accessed from the Users Guide from the Help menu of any GWB app.

Bests,

Melika Sharifi

Aqueous Solutions LLC