Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Changing the units and legend on a piper plot

BryanW

Hello,

I am just wondering if it is possible to change the units shown on a piper plot from %meq/kg to %meq/L please?

Also, is it possible to change the dimensions of the legend border? It is currently overlapping with some of my text.

Thanks in advance,

BryanW

Hi BryanW,

The Piper diagram units cannot be changed. Because they’re percentages, though, it doesn’t matter whether you use meq/kg or meq/l. You can see this for yourself by plotting a ternary diagram (these accommodates any unit choice, such as mg/kg or mmol/l, not just electrical equivalent units) or making a quick Excel calculation. If you’d like, you can edit the text in PowerPoint or Illustrator. Just go to Edit > Copy/Copy As and paste special/paste the .emf or .ai file into your desired program.

Can you please attach a plot with the text overlapping the legend border? Or your GSS file? It might be that certain characters in the sample name aren’t being accounted for correctly when the legend border is drawn. For now, you can also edit this in PowerPoint or Illustrator.

Thanks,

Brian Farrell
Aqueous Solutions 

• 10 months later...

I am trying to plot an uncharged species using the Radial Plot.  The uncharged (Be) species will not show up in my Available list.  I am using GWB 11, I have the units changed to mg/L (since there is no charge).  I even tried adding a new user defined species with units of concentration, this species also will not show up.  See below and please advise

image.png.eee79583174e9d1b576c13fd7b1f880b.png        image.png.a94d3bbc484002c3220ca193b7038a6d.png

Hi Dave,

The radial diagram can plot uncharged species when you choose units like mg/l, as you've done. However, the special plots, including the radial plot, only diagram basis and redox species in your spreadsheet. They do not include user-defined analytes. User analytes can only be plotted in xy plots.

You might try using a different thermo dataset, like thermo.com.V8.R6+.tdat. That has Be++ as a basis species. Or, you can modify the thermo dataset you're using by adding the element Be and any species that you need, then load that dataset into GSS.

Hope this helps,

Brian Farrell
Aqueous Solutions LLC

Hi again Dave,

Upon closer inspection, you can include a user-defined analyte in a radial plot as long as you put it in the "Components in fluid" category, since this is where the normal basis species plot in Gtplot. If you instead choose a category like "Chemical parameters" and pick Concentration for the dimension, it won't be recognized by the water chemistry plots.

Still, if you want to do any thermodynamic calculations including Be, you'll need to use a dataset that includes the relevant reactions.

Hope this helps,

Brian