Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Precipitation Reaction Modeling

Balaji Rao

Hey all,

This is my first time in this forum and i am tryn to get started with the GWB Release 6.0.2.

I was wondering as to how GWB can be used to model precipitaion of minerals in an aqueous system containing normal occuring cations and anions. The model i want to do is really basic. I am trying to evporate the water in the aqueous phase and see what minerals precipitate out at different timelines.

I also dont know how to substract water from the aqueous (sort of modeling evaporation) system with increasing time adn let the GWB tell me wat minerals precipirate out.

thanks

Hey all,

This is my first time in this forum and i am tryn to get started with the GWB Release 6.0.2.

I was wondering as to how GWB can be used to model precipitaion of minerals in an aqueous system containing normal occuring cations and anions. The model i want to do is really basic. I am trying to evporate the water in the aqueous phase and see what minerals precipitate out at different timelines.

I also dont know how to substract water from the aqueous (sort of modeling evaporation) system with increasing time adn let the GWB tell me wat minerals precipirate out.

thanks

Hi:

To subtract water from an aqueous system you add H2O as a negative mass reactant in the Reactants pane of the React module. There's a great example of this in the Reaction Modeling Guide on (p. 14-15 in the v6 manual, p. 15-17 v7 manual).

If you paste the following code into your React module Command pane, you can evaluate this example:

temperature = 25

decouple ALL

H2O = 1 free kg

swap CO2(g) for H+

CO2(g) = -3.5 log fugacity

Na+ = 10760 mg/kg

Mg++ = 1290 mg/kg

Ca++ = 411 mg/kg

K+ = 399 mg/kg

Cl- = 19350 mg/kg

SO4-- = 2710 mg/kg

HCO3- = 142 mg/kg