Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Precipitation reaction modeling-2

Balaji Rao

Hi,

I have started on using the GWB for modeling the simple evaporation of rainwater sample. I am using average rainwater values obtained from a site in nevada for the modeling and i use the "react - XXX.XXXg" for the evaporation.

the problem i am facing is how to input the NH4+ values. Almost all rainwater samples have high NH4+ values which can be ignored and to based on the littel knowledge i have on GWB it lets me to swap NH4+ for NO3- which i dont want as i have separate NO3 values too.

Also has there been studies on modeling the evaporation of rainwater to minerals using GWB or other softwares?

thanks

Balaji

Hi,

I have started on using the GWB for modeling the simple evaporation of rainwater sample. I am using average rainwater values obtained from a site in nevada for the modeling and i use the "react - XXX.XXXg" for the evaporation.

the problem i am facing is how to input the NH4+ values. Almost all rainwater samples have high NH4+ values which can be ignored and to based on the littel knowledge i have on GWB it lets me to swap NH4+ for NO3- which i dont want as i have separate NO3 values too.

Also has there been studies on modeling the evaporation of rainwater to minerals using GWB or other softwares?

thanks

Balaji

Hi Balaji:

As partial answer to your ammonium / nitrate question, you can constrain these values independently in your Basis by decoupling the NH4+ / NO3- redox couple via the Config - Redox Couples menu.

I'd recommend reading the sections pertaining to redox in the User's Guides and in Craig's textbook.

Regards,

Tom Meuzelaar

RockWare, Inc.