Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Unable to Launch Gtplot

Hi,

I am having issues launching any plot in GTPLOT. I have tried launching GTPLOT through GSS plot dropdown, the GWB applications menu, and from one of my GTPOLT saved files but none seem to allow me to launch the GTPLOT at all. I can see the CPU of my computer is working to load the application each time I try to launch it, however it never opens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hello,

I am not exactly sure what's causing your Gtplot issue, but I can try to help. Gtplot will try to load the last configuration file (a file with extension .gtc) opened. Some times, the configuration file might cause issues when Gtplot is opening new plotting files (e.g .gtp) or when opening a plot from GSS. Can you try moving your GSS file to a new folder (perhaps an empty folder on your Desktop perhaps) and then open the spreadsheet and launch a plot? You can also try the same thing with a SpecE8 or React output file (files with extensions .gtp). If this helped, please send us a copy of your .gtc file that was causing the issue and we can investigate further.

If removing the suggestion above did not help, can you provide more details regarding the issue. Were you able to open Gtplot before? Did plotting failed after a certain point? Was there an error message when you try to plot a file? What type of machine and operating system are you running the software on? Can you send us your GSS file or an input and its corresponding output file so we can troubleshoot further? 

Hope this helps,
Jia Wang
Aqueous Solutions LLC

Hello, 

I have tried to open the file from a new empty folder on my Desktop but this still does not launch the plot. 

I was previously able to open Gplot before, but since GWB student was updated to GWB community I have been unable to open my plots. There is no error message, it the plot never opens. Windows Task Manager indicates that the plot is loading, however it never fully opens, but it continues to use CPU (I have attached a screen shot of this). The plot can be using CPU to load for an entire day but never loads, and the program does not crash. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.650e34b6174e136a1ba174561f88bfe5.PNG

I am running the software on a Dell Desktop with windows 10, and a 64 bit operating system.

Please see attached GSS file I have been using.  

Thanks!

Table1.gss

Hello,

Thank you for providing your GSS file and additional information regarding your operating system. I was able to open your file and create plots successfully in Gtplot. If the issue arose after the installation of Community over the Student Edition, the cause might be an incomplete or incorrect install. Can you try rerunning the Community installer again and see if the issue persists? Please make sure that all GWB apps are closed before rerunning the installer. The software may install incorrectly if existing applications are open when files are being written over. 

Hope this helps,
Jia

Hello Jia, 

In the process of uninstalling the Community Ed. I realized that the older Student Ed. was still installed on my computer as well. I deleted both and then re-downloaded the Community Ed. and my Gtplot is now opening with no issues. 

Thank you for your help with this!