Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Gtplot not working after GWB update

MBOTZ

I just updated to GWB 16 and now I can't get Gtplot to work.  It opens but the window just appears to be frozen and there is no function.  I uninstalled and reinstalled GWB, but this didn't fix the issue. Can you help me?

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you're having issues with Gtplot. Could you please provide a bit more information regarding the error. Did this issue occur when you try to open an existing .gtp plot file from GWB 15 and earlier? If so, could you please try rerunning the original input file and try launching Gplot from the Results pane? Does it make any difference if you place the input file in a new folder, run the input file, and launch Gtplot from the Results pane? 

If that didn't resolve the issue, please provide a screenshot of any error message and your Gtplot window. 

Best regards,
Jia Wang
Aqueous Solutions 

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long delay Jia.  I encounter the problem with both new and old React result files.  I just created a new React file and tried to launch Gtplot, and Gtplot opens but seems to lock up.  The window appears but no graphs and none of the Gtplot menu functions are accessible.  If I click the X to close the window, nothing happens (it doesn't close).  I can only close from the taskbar.  I moved the React file to another folder on my C drive to try again, and the results are the same.  Gtplot will also not open from the main GWB start menu.  I tried also to launch Gtplot from SpecE8, and the results are the same - Gtplot opens but is locked up and no graphing appears.  I did find that if I repeatedly try to open Gtplot, that every once in a while (1 time in 10-20 tries) it will open correctly and plot my results.  I've tried to open Gtplot from the Results pane, from the main GWB start menu, and directly from the output files "React_plot" and "gtplot_conf", but none of these works.

Hello,

Thank you for providing more information and trying my suggestions above. I have a couple other suggestions for you to try troubleshooting with. Please close all GWB applications and right-click on the installer and run it as Administrator. Once installation is complete, please try opening existing Gtplot files (ending in .gtp extensions) and new React/SpecE8 output files from runs. 

You can also try disabling your anti-virus software and/or firewall temporarily to see if either is blocking normal access to your Gtplot. 

Lastly, we could check your input file set up for anything that may be lead to this issue. Could you please attach an input file that's giving you issue so we can take a closer look? 

Best regards,
Jia

Thank you Jia.  I've re-installed GWB as Administrator.  The problem is still the same when opening existing and new Gtplot files, both with and without my antivirus activated.  But I have found a workaround:  If I open the Gtplot window from React, a non-functional Gtplot window opens (just as before).  If I hover my mouse over the Gtplot icon in the taskbar, a small Gtplot window will appearCu-CN Test.rea, then if I right click on the small Gtplot window, then Gtplot works.  I have attached a React file, _conf file and _plot file for reference.  

React_plot.gtp React_output.txt gtplot_conf.gtc

You're welcome. I am glad to hear that you are able to find a workaround solution for now. This issue is very strange and we have not had any other users report it. After speaking with our support team ,they had a few suggestion as to the cause and next steps in troubleshooting.

The description of the taskbar icon sounds like another application (some kind of screenshot application?) is interfering with Gplot. If so, you may need to find the application and close it. 

Another possible issue is a hardware malfunction with your mouse. If the mouse is double-clicking when you are launching the plot, that may result in some weird behavior. If you have another mouse available, it wouldn't hurt to give that a try. 

Lastly, you might also want to consider adding the GWB program as an exception to your antivirus software. While most antivirus software allow users to deactivate temporarily, it not completely turn off in the background. To ensure that is not the case here, you can just add the GWB as an exception. 

Hope this helps,
Jia