Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Reference for GWB Reaction Modeling Guide

Hello, 

In Release 12 of the GWB Reaction Modeling Guide, an example calculation on Feldspar is used with a hypothetical water composition. The composition is listed in Section 2.2 "Example Calculation" and I've attached it. I used this as a guide to get me started for my latest model. Does anyone know if this is simply hypothetical, or if there is literature that supports the numbers used in this example? In other words, what reference (if any) was used for these numbers?

Thank you,

Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 2.11.06 PM.png

Hello Vincent, 

The hypothetical water composition is just an example to demonstrate the mass transfer concept . The Geochemical and Biogeochemical Reaction Modeling textbook states that the hydrolysis of potassium feldspar is the first reaction path traced using a computer in Helgeson et al., 1969. Perhaps that paper will have more information regarding how the starting composition was chosen. 

Helgeson, H. C. (1969) Thermodynamics of hydrothermal systems at elevated temperatures and pressures. American Journal of Science, 267, 729-804.

Hope this helps,
Jia Wang
Aqueous Solutions LLC

• Like 1