Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Removing fluid from a model at set times

jdog

Good day,

I am using React to model batch dissolution experiments that were performed over 140 days. Every two weeks 2ml of the initial 60ml fluid were removed to perform measurements. How do I account for this in my model? I've been told there is a way to do it through the command tab but I can not figure it out. 

Hello,

If you are simply looking to remove H2O from the simulation, you can do so by adding a simple reactant of H2O and then set a negative value over the course of the simulation. If you want to remove solutes, then you would need to know the amount of solutes removed at every 2 ml of fluid and account for the removal of that solute over time in the same way. 

You can perform a series of pickup reactions. Setup your simulation to run 2 weeks. At the end, pickup the result and use that result as the starting point. You would need to then adjust the absolute concentration of solutes and H2O to account for the amount you remove. You would need to do this until you reach the end of your experiments. For more information on how to do the pick up command, please refer to section 3.10 Picking up the results of a run in the GWB Reaction Modeling User Guide.

Best regards,
Jia Wang