Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

How to model a kinetic reaction without titrating

In React, I have built a fluid in the basis and rock made from kinetic minerals in the reactants pane. From what I can tell, my options in React are to slowly titrate the rock into the fluid, or do a flow-through or flush (neither of which I want). Rather, what I want is to throw my entire rock in the fluid and see what happens after 30 days. How do I do this?

Hello Isaac,

If you are prescribing a kinetic mineral reaction, then React is calculating the dissolution and precipitation of the mineral according to the kinetic rate law. The amount of mineral you prescribe for this kinetic mineral is the amount you have included in the Reactants pane is in the system at the start of the simulation. You can also set a kinetic mineral with no initial mass and the mineral can precipitate according to the rate law. You can check by plotting time elapsed vs mineral in Gtplot. For simple minerals, the program adds a small amount of the mineral over the entire course of the simulation until the full amount has been added. 

Flush and flow-through are special configurations in the software. They are turned off by default but you can enable or disable them in the Stepping dialog if you go to Config -> Stepping. For more information on these configurations, please refer to 3.2 and 3.3 in the GWB Reaction Modeling guide.  To see a detailed description for reaction kinetics, please see section 4.2 and 4.2.1 of the GWB Reaction Modeling User guide.

Hope this helps,
Jia Wang