Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

Error: Ionic Strength out of Range

I'm attempting to calculate speciation in a complex brine system and continually receive the ion strength out of range error. The error seems to be focused around the interactions of EDTA4- with Ca2+ and Mg2+. Oxalate also seems to have this same issue.

If I swap the EDTA concentration for the species we expect to dominate, CaEDTA2-, this just moves the error to another species in the calculation. The model seems to give accurate data when EDTA and Oxalate are removed from the calculations.

error.png

inputs.png

Hello,

Taking a quick look at your basis input, it seems like your solution is extremely concentrated (> 200 moles of solute per kilogram of solution). Can you double check that the unit that you are using for your concentration measurements are correct? 

Best regards,
Jia Wang

Hello,

Thanks for double checking the units. I did a quick test with the new units and swapped CaEDTA-- (more abundant species) for EDTA----, and the speciation calculation was successful. Did you alter any other parameters in file setup? Perhaps a unit was left unchanged for one of the basis species? If you would like someone to take a closer look, please attach the SpecE8 or React input file so we can troubleshoot. 

Hope this helps,
Jia