Geochemist's Workbench Support Forum

How to add lactate (CH3CHOHCOO-) in the basis pane of React?

Wen Qiu

hey,

I want to make a kinetic microbial model about  Bacterial Reduction of Goethite. The Chemical equation is follows:image.thumb.png.21fc759a8534adc391bee45d728c440b.pngI have difificulty in adding lactate in the basis pane. I would appreciate it very much if you can help me.

best wishes,

Wen.

Hello Wen Qiu,

The GWB applications themselves do not carry species, minerals, or gasses. The applications draw reactions from the thermo dataset loaded for your calculation. In React, you can go to File -> View -> select the file that ends in .tdat (or .dat for really old datasets) to view the thermo dataset loaded. thermo.tdat, the default dataset in The GWB does not contain Lactate, you can add the reaction using values in literature or copy and paste it from another database to thermo.tdat and save it as a custom dataset with a new name. You might also find the GWB academy lesson on Microbial Population helpful. The dataset used in this example is a modified thermo.tdat with the addition of the Lactate reaction. 

For more information on how to alter thermo datasets in the GWB, please refer to section 9 in the GWB Essentials User Guide. 

Hope this helps,
Jia Wang
Aqueous Solutions LLC